Sunday, April 17, 2011

Germany - Day 4


Today started out kinda rough. We decided last night that we needed to wake up early to get to Germany and Neuschwanstein early enough to see the castle and have enough time there. Well since Carly and I were sharing a room and she can't wake up to anything but someone waking her up, I am designated alarm clock. Well I have a problem with waking up before seven am. We were planning on leaving AT seven. So...needless to say, I turned my alarm of in my sleep. Good thing we had Ramzi here because he knocked on our door a seven and said, "aren't we going?" So carly and I got ready in about a minute an we were on our way to catch the 720 train back to Zurich. We it to Zurich and discovered that the the train to Fussen, Germany (the town next to Neuschwanstein) wasn't leaving for another 2 hours. So we wandered the train station for a bit and I paid to go into the bathroom and brush my teeth and hair and then we sat on our platform reading until our train came. After two long train rides, we made it to Fussen! We took a small bus to get to neuschwanstein and eventually caught view of the famous Disney and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle! it is indescribable how big and enchanted it is (insert history). As we got off the bus, I noticed more tourists than I have in my four months being in Europe. There were LOTS of Americans which I found interesting. It was weird listening to them speak because I'm not used to hearing the American accent. Ramzi ditched his backpack in a locker and carly and I kept on trekking up the very long road toward the castle. We stopped pretty shortly to get our first legitimate brattworst!! They were so good! Better than any i've had in the US. I hate them at home, but these were so yummy! I don't even know how much we hiked, but I do know I had to take off two coats and wipe the sweat off the back of my neck once we made it! This castle is amazing. It's on top of a mountain and the view from it is absolutely breathtaking.




We started by walking around the back and hiking some more to the bridge in the back (insert history). It was awesome! The bridge was a little shaky, but the waterfall below and the view of the castle was so beautiful! I've never seen anything like it before.




We headed back down and into the grounds of the castle but didn't go in because we didn't have enough time to do that and make it back to the train station in time. As we headed back down, we stopped and got a few souvenirs and the carly and I both got these German donut ball things. They were soo good!! Even better than the ones I had in Belgium! We made it to the train station in time and were now in our way to munich/landschut! We're staying with carly's brother's friend Rebecca just an hour northwest of Munich. It's very nice of these people to take in three American backpackers for a night or two. I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment