Friday, February 25, 2011

Oxford & Camden Market

Wednesday, February 23, 2011:
Today we went to Oxford! For all you Cambridge fans I'm sorry, but I loved Oxford 10 times more than I liked Cambridge. I don't know why, I just did. Carly's brother, Brady, graduated from Merton College in Oxford in 2007 so he gave us a list of all the fun things to do there. We got so much done in the little time we were given to explore. We started out at 'Alice's Shop' - the original Alice in Wonderland Shop where the real Alice, Alice Liddell, used to buy her barley sugar sweets 140 years ago. Lewis Carroll wrote the shop into his story because he loved this shop so much. (**My camera is broken right now so I don't have very many pics, but I will get them from my buds and post them later!)


Next we went to Christ's College and went into the dining hall, aka the GREAT HALL from Harry Potter. It was awesome! The actually dining room was a lot smaller than I was expecting, but it was still cool nonetheless.
After Christ's College, Carly and I branched off for a bit to head to Merton College, Brady's college. We were a little worried that they wouldn't let us in because it's not open to visitors until July, but Carly told them that Brady graduated from there and they totally let us in. We wandered through the gardens and through the chapel and then one of the guys took us up and showed us the common room. Saweet! This guy then pointed us in the direction towards the Real Tennis Courts. It was cool (reminded me of Ever After) and there were actually two people playing a match so we watched for a sec. It was so fun! Then Carl and I met up with everyone else at St. Mary's church which we hiked super clausty (aka claustrophobic) stairs to the top of the tower. The view of Oxford from the top was amazing! Then we went to a pub called 'Turf Tavern' and I got fish n' chips! I hate to admit to this but it was the first time I got fish n' chips since I've been in England...Embarrassing, I know. After that we basically walked around, explored, and shopped. I loved Oxford and would LOVE to go to school there!...Yeah right. In my dreams. :)

Thursday, February 24, 2011
Today was just an ordinary day. School, hanging out in London, etc. Carly, Paige, and I went to see Love Story. This is a musical only here in London and it was AMAZING. It was funny, sad, and, of course, full of love. I am tempted to buy the album on iTunes because I loved the music so much. Their pitch and unison was on the nose. I loved every single minute of Love Story.

Friday, February 25, 2011
Today we woke up and got ready for our long day ahead of us. We started off with getting one of our London Walks done. It's called the Regent's Park Walk and we just walked through the park and it was beautiful day so it was magical! I am loving the beginning of spring over here in London! I went outside both yesterday and today without a coat on! Best feeling in the world!



After the walk, we took the tube (which took WAY longer than I wanted to) and headed over to Camden Market. We got the BEST burrito and wandered through the HUGE market. If you ever come to London, go to the Camden Market on a Friday or Saturday because I got sooo many London souvenirs for cheap. I loved it! There is also just the yummiest food I've had in a while there. Homemade donuts, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. SOO good!! Came home and we had a party because the professors are out of town so the centre directors made us pancakes for dinner. It's been a great day!

Tomorrow - Borough Market and hanging out...

Next week - SPRING BREAK & PRAGUE!!!

Hope you are all doing well and having a wonderful last few days of February! I am jealous that Jess & Dave are leaving for the Caribbean today..Have fun! Get some sun for me because I'm albino over here...Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment