Friday, January 7, 2011

Mind the Gap

Wow...Where to begin?? I'm going to make this as short and informative as possible, but I don't know how well that's going to go over. Also, I am so dumb and planned on coming here to upload pics and spend the time doing all of that junk, but I definitely left my camera at the centre. **Side note, the Wi-fi at the centre is NOT like it is in America. It also doesn't help that we have 50 or so people trying to use the internet at the same time. That's been my biggest frustration...Lack of technology. haha. It's all good though! I'm in LONDON!!

So, as you can tell, I made it here in one piece! The airports are always a nightmare and customs especially is the worst. But we made it and it has been amazing ever since! We met up with 5 other people in our connecting flight through Dallas and flew across the pond together. When we finally got our bags, we had a cute old driver waiting for us. He had a great accent and a witty sense of humor. Next we walked across the entire airport, I got stuck in the "lift", and we almost got hit by a car. The driver asked us if we were Mormons, we said yes, and then he made the comment, "You're the first Mormons I've met that actually laugh!" It was a great little experience with my first Londoner.

The centre is amazing! Of course I got put on the TOP floor (aka five flights of stairs) with the best roommates ever! I am rooming with Carly, Elise, Annie, Sharon, and Kinsey. We have a blast! I love it. There is way less storage space than I was expecting, but I didn't bring as much as I thought either. At least compared to everyone else. I don't know. I am definitely my mother's daughter and feel like I need to be organized with all of my stuff, but we only get ONE drawer so it's hard to do that. I'll figure it out eventually.

We have been on so many adventures in the past 2 days! On Wednesday, after unpacking, we were NOT allowed to take a nap so we went on a walk around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. It was absolutely breathtaking. Then we broke up into little groups to explore. We basically wandered around the other side of the park and found the Hyde Park Chapel! It is so cute! We walked in and the Stake President was sitting there and so we talked to him for a while...He has the BEST accent ever! My favorite thing is just listening to people talk...Mostly little kids. I love it.

Yesterday we had orientation and it was pretty boring. It didn't help that it was at 10 am (aka 3 am in Salt Lake) and we were all dozing off. It was pretty bad. We got our kitchen assignments and I'm in charge for this week...I'm not going to go too much into that because I'm not loving that part of it. Remember the good, forget the bad. ;) After orientation, we went to the little restaurant close to the centre called Nando's and it was interesting. I'm not sure I am going to dig the food very much. I mean it was good, but not THAT good. After Nando's, we went and got our Oyster cards (Tube/Subway/Metro passes). I forgot to "Mind the Gap" getting into the Tube last night and almost tripped my way into the train...Pretty embarrassing. Last night we went and saw "Big BEN" and the "London Eye" and it is just beautiful here at night!! I love it. I am so excited for all the adventures we're going to have.

Today we went to Westminster Abbey - tombs of Charles Dickins, Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, George Frederick Handel, etc. Princess Diana's funeral was held there and the Royal wedding will be there in April. We also went to the Tower of London - "Bloody Tower", King's armor, and the crown jewels. Just absolutely amazing. Again, I'm SO sorry I forgot my camera! I will definitely upload the pictures when I come to the internet cafe next time.

I'm having a blast, making tons of friends, and just loving living in London. I love all of you who read this and miss you tons!! I'll update soon. I promise.

Love,
Liz

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for an update! Sounds like you are having a blast! I still remember seeing the crown jewels, the crowns were so beautiful! OH I LOVE LONDON! I am loving living vicariously through you! Please update pictures when you can....one of your friends tagged a few on you on FB...so it was fun to see, you look adorable and like a little Londoner already! Can't wait to see more....don't stress about emailing, skyping, blogging, and FB...enjoy it! You will only do this once, the rest of us can get updates and see pictures when we can! Live it up! Love you sis! Can't wait to hear more!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete